[Source: My Aspergers Child]
In order to create an effective intervention for problem behaviors in children with Asperger’s (AS) and High-Functioning Autism (HFA), parents need to take into consideration a variety of aspects.
Let’s first look at “The 4-Step Plan”:
- Hypothesize the Function of the Behavior:
- Sensory Feedback
- Social Attention
- Wants tangible item or activity
- Gather Information:
- Antecedent: Does the behavior occur…
- Following a request to perform a difficult task?
- Repeatedly, in the same way, for long periods of time, even when no one is around?
- When a request for an item or activity is denied?
- When you are attending to other children in the room?