Homemade Slime Leaves Girl with Third-Degree Burns
[Source: USA Today]
A common ingredient in DIY slime is to blame for a Massachusetts girl’s second- and third-degree burns, according to reports.
Eleven-year-old Kathleen Quinn who made DIY slime “a million times” with no problems, suddenly started crying in extreme pain in the middle of the night, mom Siobhan Quinn told WCVB Channel 5 in Boston. The girl had second and third-degree burns covering her hands, because of her contact with detergent booster borax, her doctor said.
A quick YouTube search produces several slime or “gak” recipes using borax mixed with glue, water and food coloring. The only caution on a box of borax is typically to avoid contact with eyes. But, extended use could cause symptoms like Kathleen’s.
PediaStaff is Hiring!All Jobs
PediaStaff hires pediatric and school-based professionals nationwide for contract assignments of 2 to 12 months. We also help clinics, hospitals, schools, and home health agencies to find and hire these professionals directly. We work with Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational and Physical Therapists, School Psychologists, and others in pediatric therapy and education.