Physical Therapy Corner: 10 Ideas to Celebrate PT Month in October
[Source: Your Therapy Source]
National Physical Therapy Month in celebrated in October each year. I have posted in the past about simple ways to promote physical therapy (especially in the schools) but it has been awhile so here is a recap:
1. Think of an activity club that you could start at the school to promote quality of life… maybe an early morning or lunch time walking club? Another way to encourage long term quality of life is to improve posture. Perhaps plan a postural screening day with hand outs on proper posture available.
2. Host the Physical Therapy Olympics – invite school staff, parents and students to participate in the PT Olympics. Try relay races in wheelchairs, with walkers and therapy balls.
3. Create an PT Contest – For example – Who can take the most steps in a week (use pedometers)? The largest number of steps wins a PT t-shirt.
4. Create an PT Quiz – Distribute an PT quiz with many questions regarding what PT is and how it helps children. Every person who fills out the quiz gets a small prize.
5. Do an in-service on the benefits of PT to the school staff and parents.
6. Plan an PT Month Party! – Allow the kids to vote on a party theme such as gross motor, sensory or playground. Create games around that theme.
7. Volunteer for the Career Fair at the school. Educate prospective college students on what PT is.
8. Have an Adaptive Equipment and Assistive Technology Fair – demonstrate different types of equipment that PT’s recommend for students to school staff and parents.
9. Hang up a large poster in the hallway about physical therapy. Or print a copy of the picture above in the blog post to hang on the PT room. You can download a copy of the picture at http://www.YourTherapySource.com/ptmonth.
10. If you do not have time for any of the above ideas here is the easiest – just ask to make an announcement over the loudspeaker of the school about PT month. Inform the school in a few sentences about physical therapy.
Check out our motivational section on the Your Therapy Source website for certificates, awards and signs for physical therapy.
Please Support Contributors to PediaStaff. Visit the Your Therapy Source blog and Your Therapy Source store and website
PediaStaff is Hiring!All Jobs
PediaStaff hires pediatric and school-based professionals nationwide for contract assignments of 2 to 12 months. We also help clinics, hospitals, schools, and home health agencies to find and hire these professionals directly. We work with Speech-Language Pathologists, Occupational and Physical Therapists, School Psychologists, and others in pediatric therapy and education.