Worth Repeating: Is Gamification the Future of Teaching Life Skills?
by Linda Harrison
Last night I heard a CBC radio program describing “gamification“, and my mind is buzzing with all the implications and applications of this idea. Gamification is the process of applying gaming principles and design to non-game situations.
People have always been drawn to games. There is evidence of game-playing from ancient cultures. However, video games have brought gaming to a whole new level.
Gamification involves using strategies from gaming such as:
- Awards/points/virtual currency/badges
- progress bars
- user challenges
- leader boards and recognition
- trading of awards/points/currency
- bragging rights on social media
- using curiosity to help maintain engagement